I. put the verb in brackets into the correct form
1. You are late. If you _________ (come) a few minutes earlier, you __________ (meet) him.
=>You are late. If you came a few minutes earlier, you would meet him
2. If there are no subjunctive mood, English ________ (be) much easier.
=>If there was no subjunctive mood, English would be much easier. (Bàng thái cách)
3. I’d have gone swimming yesterday afternoon if I ________ (have) time.
=>I’d have gone swimming yesterday afternoon if I had had time.
4. What would you do if you _________ (win) a million won pounds?
=>What would you do if you won a million pounds?
5. If you didn’t do this, you __________ (be) punished.
=>If you didn’t do this, you would be punished.
6. If he had told me the truth, I __________ (punish) him.
=>If he had told me the truth, I would have not punished him.
7. “What do you think about the U.S?”
“If I had known it was so industrialized. I _________ (be) come here”
=>If I had known it was so industrialized. I would never have come here
8. If they had not given me advice, I __________ (fail) again.
=>If they had not given me advice, I would have failed again.
9. If it _________ (rain) the match will be postponed
=>If it rains, the match will be postponed
10. I would have met you at the bus terminal if I _________ (know)that you were arriving.
=>I would have met you at the bus terminal if I had known that you were arriving.
11. If there ______ (be) no floods last year, the crop __________ (be)better.
=>If there had been no floods last year, the crop would have been better.
12. I don’t have enough time. If I __________ (have) more time, I __________ (come) to see you.
=>I don’t have enough time. If I had more time, I would come to see you.
13. Peter failed the final exam. If he _had worked (work) harder, he __________ (succeed)
=>Peter failed the final exam. If he _had worked (work) harder, he would have succeeded.
14. If he __________ (be) taller, he __________ (be) able to join the police.
=>If he were taller, he would be able to join the police.
15. If I had known it would rain, I __________ (take) my umbrella.
=> If I had known it would rain, I would have taken my umbrella
2: Rewrite Sentences.
1. I don’t know your address, so I can’t write you a letter.
=> If …… If I knew your address, I could write you a letter.…..
2. I live in a countryside because I don’t have a house in the city.
=> If … If I had a house in the city, I wouldn’t live in a countryside.
3. If you don’t start early, you will miss the train.
=> Unless ……… Unless you start early, you will miss the train…
4. She didn’t call me last night because she didn’t know my phone number.
=> If…… If she had known my phone number, she would have called me last night..
5. They cancelled the trip because it rained heavily.
=> If … If it hadn’t rained heavily, they wouldn’t have cancelled the trip..
6. He is overweight. He eats too much
=> If … If he didn’t eat too much, he wouldn’t be overweight.….
7. The room is cold because they leave the door open.
=> If …… If they didn’t leave the door open, the room wouldn’t be cold ..
8. Unless she works hard, she will fail the next exam.
=> If…… If she doesn’t work hard, she will fail the next exam..
9. I didn’t buy a bicycle because I didn’t have enough money.
=> I would… I would buy a bicycle if I had had enough money.
10. You got into so much trouble because you didn’t listen to me.
=> Had…… Had you listened to me, you wouldn’t have gotten into so much.
3: Choose the correct answer
1. If I were you, I _________ that.
A. would apply for B. will ask for C. will have changed D. can take
2. If I _________ a wish. I’d wish for happiness for my family.
A. have B. been having C. had D. was having
3. If we had had time, we _________ to the party.
A. can go B. will go C. would have gone D. will have gone
4. We couldn’t understand th teacher if he _________ too fast.
A. spoke B. has spoken C. doesn’t speak D. didn’t speak
5. If everything is all right, we _________ our work on time.
A. complete B. are completing C. have completed D. will complete
6. What _________ if the Earth suddenly stopped going around the Sun?
A. happens B. will happen C. would happen D. happened
7. Unless you _________ quiet, I’ll scream.
A. don’t keep B. keep C. kept D. didn’t keep
8. You’ll be able to speak English well if you _________ hard.
A. study B. studied C. would study D. had studied
9. If I _________ you, I _________ invitation.
A. am/will refuse B. was/will refuse C. were/would refuse D. had been/will refuse
10. _________ , I’d have told you the answer.
A. If you asked me B. Had you asked me C. You had asked me D. Unless you asked me
11. I didn’t try hard, so I didn’t succeed.
A. If I tried hard, I would succeed. B. If I had tried hard, I would succeed.
C. If I tried hard, I would have succeeded. D. If I had tried hard, I would have succeeded.
12. Mary didn’t wear the raincoat, she would get a cold.
A. If Mary wore the raincoat, she wouldn’t get a cold.
B. If Mary had worn the raincoat, she didn’t get a cold.
C. If Mary had worn the raincoat, she wouldn’t have got a cold.
D. If Mary has worn the raincoat, she won’t have got a cold.
13. I haven’t got money, so I’m not going on holiday.
A. Having no money made me go on holiday. B. Not having money on my holiday got me down.
C. If I have money, I’ll go on holiday. D. If I had money, I would go on holiday.
14. We didn’t go on holiday last year because we didn’t have enough money.
A. If we hadn’t had enough money, we wouldn’t have gone on holiday last year.
B. If we had had enough money, we would have gone on holiday last year.
C. If we hadn’t had enough money, we would have gone on holiday last year.
D. Unless we had enough money, we would go on holiday last year.
15. If I had enough money, …….
A. I will buy that house B. I could buy that house
C. I can buy that house D. I am buy that house